Speed applique a vintage camper; multi-media art, create magnets & tea towels – Mother’s day gift idea.
I found this Henry Glass “Quilt Camp” fabric with awesome little campers and about lost my mind at the fabric shop getting some cut!
I found this darling sky and cloud fabric and had to use it as well!
These 2.5″ x 2.5″ mini-canvases are magnets (sold in set of 5 @ Walmart). While shopping, it struck me that tiny campers need tiny pets! I picked these stickers up and added a fun message, and rhinestones! Materials used and DIY instructions at end of post.
I always buy the tea towels and magnets on vacation. This seemed like an homage to past trips.
Speed applique means no turned edges, things will frey and the color/art/texture NOT the process will be the feature.
The same construction steps apply to both the tea towel and magnet – using scraps, cut fabric that has been backed with fusible web and iron your background fabric on first, adding a foreground, place camper on top of both. Each camper has been cut so that the background of original textile is eliminated.. I was taught to call this “fussy cutting”. Cut as close as possible around shape edge with SHARP scissors. Press with no steam. Add text fabric as a special element to mark an occasion, or season.
Finish with decorative stitching, outline all fabric elements with black stitches. Crochet trim is a personal favorite for finishing a tea towel! I purchased the trim rather than attempting to make it, just to save my mind.
Materials/Supply List for tea towels and magnets:
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Heat-n-Bond or fabric fusible web product of your choice
- Sewing machine
- Glue stick and/or Jewelry glue
- Scrap fabrics representing: sky, grass, camper, inspirational text
- Black thread
- Straight pins to secure trim
- 5 pack tea towels https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Non-Terrycloth-Kitchen-Towel-5pk-White/44432717
- Crochet trims- varied (tea towels only).
Magnet, additional supplies:
- Pet stickers
- Mod Podge
- Paint brush to apply Mod Podge (clean with soap and water immediately after use)
- Mini-canvases with magnetic backing (or add your own)
Magnet step by step:
- Apply Heat-n-Bond to all fabrics you wish to applique.
- Fussy cut (as close to image edges as possible) the camper and other desired shapes (grassy hill) from the fabrics using very sharp fabric scissors.
- Use iron to adhere cloud or background fabric to magnet, continue with foreground fabric (green check), place camper and secure with heat on grass.
- Trim as close as possible to edge of magnet with scissors to size.
- Apply pet sticker in foreground of camper, place quote or message as desired.
- Glue gems or embellishment of your choice for finishing touch.
- Apply several coats of Mod Podge over the magnet include sealing the edges where fabric meets magnet, allow dry time between coats following manufacturer instructions. 2 or more coats recommended! Seal edges as well as surface area.
- Dry 48 hours for best results before stacking, wrapping or potentially contaminating tacky surface with fingerprints, etc.